W00! My very first post on this blog! I am SOOOO excited to share about my experiences here at Cal (another name we have for UC Berkeley), and I can't wait to talk about all the cool things that have been happening so far.
I realize that prospective students are in the midst of trying to complete their college applications since deadlines are coming up soon (yikes!), so I think it would be helpful to give some insight on life at Cal...from a current freshman's perspective. So let's get started! =]
1. Food--I never have to worry about getting sick of the food at the dining commons (the food there isn't bad either!) because there are so many different places to eat! If I ever have a craving for burritos/tacos, hot dogs, Chinese food, sushi, Korean bbq, bubble tea, crepes, bagels, soup, fruit smoothies, paninis, sub sandwiches, frozen yogurt, or the like, I know where to go because UC Berkeley's got it all! And the greatest thing is that the majority of these places are within a 5-minute walking distance! There are also a variety of restaurants that are accessible via the AC Transit bus system (which is free to Cal students!).
2. Walking to classes is like taking a nature walk--There's nothing better than walking to class early in the morning and hearing the sound of running water from Strawberry Creek (which runs through a large area of campus) or seeing the sun peek through the tree tops as it rises. What can I say? The campus is aesthetically pleasing, even if you aren't the biggest nature fan. And did I mention that I have a perfect view of the San Francisco bridge from my dorm room??? Watching the sun set over the Bay Area is breathtaking!
3. Diversity--The student body is so diverse that there are student groups for every activity possible, and it's not hard to find people who share the same interests. On my floor alone, there are a handful of out-of-state and international students from all different backgrounds. And despite the differences, everyone here at Cal is open and tolerant to other beliefs and points of view, so it's okay to share your ideas and opinions on pretty much anything!
4. There's always something new to learn!--Even though I got a 5 on my AP Chemistry exam, I decided to take the course again when I got to Cal, and I am still learning new stuff every day! The great thing about my Chemistry professor is that she knows that some students already have a background in chemistry already, so she makes sure to incorporate new material while teaching the basic concepts so that no one gets bored.
5. Studying--There are so many places to study, whether it be the dorm room, the lounges in your residential hall, the libraries, cafes, or even on campus itself. I've seen people studying on the grass, on benches, and even in trees! The cool thing about studying at Cal is that you can study wherever you feel most comfortable and productive.
Well, there you have it, folks--a freshman's first impressions of UC Berkeley. =] I'm hoping to make a "part 2" of this post that'll go more in depth about college life, but until then,